The Ghana Mineworkers’ Union of Trades Union Congress Ghana was founded on June 7, 1944 at Abosso near Tarkwa by Brothers C.E. McCarthy and S.M. Bissah. It became an affiliate of the then Gold Coast Trades Union Congress in 1946 and the Miners’ International Federation in 1952.
The union was formed to protect workers from exploitation from colonial enterprise owners. The refusal of the colonial management to respond to workers demands for improved conditions of work brought a lot of disaffection on the part of workers. The workers saw the need to come together to exert pressure on Management. This culminated in formation of the Union.
The first officers of the Union were as follows:
1. J.N. Sam-General President
2. S.K.H. Cleland-Vice General President
3. S.M. Bissah-General Secretary
4. D.K. Foevie-General Treasurer
5. J.E. Quarshie-General Chaplain