CURRENT INITIATIVES OF THE UNION
1. Education Endowment Fund
- Towards sustainable human development- an incentive to encourage members give education to their children. 200 beneficiaries as at 2006/7 academic year
2. Human Resource Development
- As at March 2009, 23 members have been sponsored to pursue Diplomas in Labour Studies at the University of Cape Coast.
- As at March 2009, 21 members have been sponsored to pursue Certificates in Labour Studies at the University of Cape Coast in collaboration with the Ghana Labour College.
- As at March 2009, 3 members have been sponsored to pursue Post-graduate Certificates in Labour Policy Studies at the University of Cape Coast.
3. Ghana Mineworkers’ Union Support Fund
- Revolving fund to support members at reduced interest rates.
- Micro Financing (to support school fees, bereavement, etc.)
4. Professional & Managerial Staff Association Union Unionization of Professional and Managerial staff
5. GMWU - School Complex at Obuasi
It was started in October 2010 and the first phase is expected to be completed by September 2011
1. Community Information Technology Centres (Obuasi and Tarkwa)
- This aims to improve upon the lives of members and citizens of the community through access to information technology
- Build and increase the capacities and competencies of our members through links with overseas colleges and universities (higher education/long distance learning)
- Develop information technology skills of dependants for the labour market
2. Community Entrepreneurial Skills Development
- Alternative livelihood
- Family support by spouses
- Advancement of Women
3. Consumer Credit
- To provide members with basic necessities and essential commodities through credit facilities
- To mitigate the effect of direct cash purchase to facilitate saving culture among members